Friday, March 25, 2011

Heather Pierson and friends play at The Little White Church April 2

“I've been playing music forever,” Heather Pierson, who will be playing a concert at The Little White Church in Eaton, N.H. on Saturday, April 2, at 7 p.m. said. “Both my parents were musical too, my father especially, so I think it is just in my cells, I don't know, it has always been a part of who I am.”
Pierson will be playing songs from her latest album “Make It Mine” at the concert as well as new songs not yet heard by her fans and interpretations of a few choice cover songs. She will be joined by Jeremy Dean on guitar and vocals, Nate Towne on guitar and vocals and Audio Kickstand's Carl Iacozili on drums and Shawn Nadeau on bass.
Pierson debuted “Make It Mine” at a sold out CD release show at Stone Mountain Arts Center in Brownfield, Maine last October.
“It is a fantastic venue,” Pierson said. “The acoustics are great…Carol [Noonan] was great. I am running out of superlatives. It was really awesome. The green room is completely epic. They've really done nice job putting that venue together.”
The album is a collection of 16 songs exploring the universal themes of love, loss, hope and perseverance.
“I would say it sounds like the love child of Joni Mitchell and Ben Folds that was babysat by George Winston,” Pierson said. “Lyrically there are lots of stories. I wouldn't say it is folk, but I wouldn't say it is pop either, so I don't quite know what it is.”
Pierson cites songwriters such as Mitchell and Paula Cole as her influences, but she is also influenced by the “independent minded sensibility” of artists that don't even resemble her music.
“I like to write music that I like to listen to and whether or not that falls into some other category,” Pierson said. “I'm very happy with this [album] and I like all the songs on here and I just hope other people do too.”
The album was recorded over several months in 2010 at Baked Beans Recording Studio in Harrison, Maine. It was a slow process, but one that Pierson enjoyed.
“It really is hard work,” Pierson said. “It really is like a job, but it is a job that I love to do.”
Pierson wrote all the songs and plays all the instruments herself on the album.
“It was really important for me to be able to say 'I played everything on this CD,'” Pierson said. “Future CDs probably won't be like that because recently I've been working with some really great musicians performing this stuff live.”
Although she has released previous CDs, she says this one is different.
“This one kind of feels like my first one because I am the most proud of it and I put the most effort and work and all that into it,” she said. “It is the first one that's gotten this kind of substantial response and what not.”
The album has been selling well on itunes and amazon and has been getting local radio play on WMWV.
“I hear from a lot of people, people that I know, that they've been hearing it on the radio and people really enjoy it,” Pierson said.

No comments: